Sunday 10 July 2011

Today’s Item On The Cutting Board: The James Webb Telescope

I can’t have my cake and eat it too. Although I have been known to get combative over the last piece of cake. Yesterday I talked with you about Obama setting our NASA goals on Mars and asteroids. I pretty much said I felt it was a waste of money that could be spent elsewhere towards hopefully something more useful to the everyday folks. 

Today I read an article about NASA budget cuts and one of the biggies that might get the axe is the James Webb Telescope. This telescope is the successor to Hubble. It is a very expensive piece of equipment. They are looking at a total cost of  $6.8 billion once it is complete. Right now the target launch is 2018. 

This telescope of course is improved with new abilities. A big difference is the telescope would be scanning the infrared spectrum rather than visual light. This enhances the probability of new discoveries in our universe. For example; instead of dust clouds appearing opaque, this telescope will be able to penetrate the dust cloud. 

This new ability is one reason this telescope is so expensive. This also makes for a new system of where to place the telescope. It will need to be further from the earth to avoid interference since all objects emit some infrared light. They are seeking to put the telescope four times further from the earth than the moon. 

That distance makes any repairs that could be needed pretty much impossible. NASA has stated there can be no design flaws or “screw-ups”.  A large amount of testing has already taken place towards reaching the perfect, detailed design. 

NASA claims that once in place this telescope could unlock a universe of discoveries. With the distance and its abilities it would see much more than Hubble was ever able to see. And for some real science fun, since light only travels so fast, the further you look out the further you look back. That is one of those scientific doors that makes my brain hurt. 

They say we would be looking at the very first stars and galaxies in the universe, which right now are just fuzzy blobs with the Hubble images. It can also see how dark matter has affected the light as it travels to us. Hold on.  My brain froze up for a moment. 

Now here comes the part where I have to tell myself I can’t have my cake and eat it too. This kind of thing fascinates me. I may not understand all the dynamics, theories, physics and so forth, but to see images in this kind of detail is invaluable. But who gets to figure out what exactly is invaluable and should not be part of budget cuts?  Who gets to say scratch the Mars hoopla and lets pour our money into this telescope?  Why should one be considered more important than the other? 

I am essentially arguing with myself from yesterday’s post. The tension here as I type this is very heavy. I may end up not speaking to myself for a few days after this particular argument. 

I went on to read that this telescope might have the ability to determine if there is other life in the universe. It would have the ability to detect water.  And of course a planet with large amounts of water is a good indication there could be life. If this is possible,  I guess depending on what type of life we actually find would dictate our next steps.

The one fact about this program that bothers the common sense side of me is the potential to waste a large amount of money. If this perfect designed telescope doesn’t set itself up perfectly at a vast distance from earth, you can kiss billions good-bye. The time spent thus far is well past what was predicted and has been much more difficult than predicted as well.  

So I have made full circle. While I love the thought of being able to see such newer, clearer images and discoveries, I can’t justify that amount of money in this economy. So overall it makes sense to me that this project is on the cutting board. And at the same time I don’t understand why I am so against Mars in comparison. Maybe it has something to do with the movie Mars Attacks. 

Take care and stay safe,

KJ

If you liked that post, then try these...

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment