Saturday 17 September 2011

Obama v. Howard Beale…

0901-Obama-jobs-speech_full_600I did not watch the President last night give his “jobs” speech. I tried, but my eyes kept drifting to the tan and wealthy John Boehner, and I just got angry. I have enough angst in my life right now without getting upset at what’s on television.

It’s hard to look at Obama right now and even harder to look at Congress. In real estate, it’s location, location, location. In politics, it’s the message, the message, the message. Since Barack was elected, his messages, all of them, have been, sadly, wrong. It reminds me of a grand piano being played just slightly off tune.

We need a national health care program. Obama said we’d all be covered by a “Cadillac” plan, just like “our” Congress receives. But, then he, and Congress, stuck us with a law nobody understands and everybody seemingly despises. Michelle Bachman says it prevents business from hiring. Talking to human resources managers confirms that.

It’s too bad the President is always compromising  – maybe that’s why his wife is the boss of the family – and not fighting for the principles he ran on. This one big flaw in his Administration is why we’ve not recovered from the Bush2 failures. He’s let Congress steer the ship and expects us all to feel good about it. It’s why he made a good community organizer, but is screwing up as President. 

Even when I was employed, I didn’t feel so good about the direction “our” country was heading. Now that I’m fighting for financial survival, dealing currently with multiple layers of government, my outlook is more panic than anything the President can assure me of in another speech. Drumming in my head is that saying, money talks and B.S. walks. How about, “show me the money”. And, “I’m a human being, God damn it! My life has value!”

Millions of people should copy Howard Beale’s rant in the ’76 movie “Network”, sign it and send it to their representatives in Congress. I’ve inserted it below the post.

Let me go back to health care a minute. April 12th is when I came in off the road. The other day is when I received a “brochure” from COBRA regarding continuing health insurance coverage. The cost per month is about $450. The cost, if my wife added me on to her policy, is about $325. Neither of the two options give me the “Cadillac” coverage that Congress receives. Both options are unaffordable.

If and when “Obama-care” takes full effect, it will be 2014. Let’s say the next President is going to be Governor Rick – we know he is going to flush national health care right down the toilet minutes after he takes the oath. I wouldn’t disagree with that. The President and Congress, at the time, railroaded a bad law into passing, then did nothing to make it workable. It was – it is – a disaster that nobody talks about.

I’ve always said get employers should be out of the equation. Your health insurance should not be “tied” in with your job. Coverage should never have been mandated as a method to make it work. Congress could have and should have devised a plan to give “us” their health insurance coverage open, available and affordable to everyone. If you don’t want it, don’t participate.

The burden and expense of health care coverage by business for its employees would end. That relief alone would spur on the economy and decrease unemployment. There was no mention of any of that in last night’s speech. Tax cuts, payroll and otherwise, and $447 BILLION isn’t going to get us out of this economic mess we’re in.

For the brief moments I tuned in the speech, I saw little difference between the Congress and the children my wife teaches at school, playing and arguing in the playground. These people are not interested in solutions, they’re not interested in the uninsured or unemployed, their minds are set on replacing the President, at all costs, no matter the negative impact on us.

________________________________________________________________________________

“I don’t have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It’s a depression. Everybody’s out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel’s worth, banks are going bust, shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter. Punks are running wild in the street and there’s nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there’s no end to it. We know the air is unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat, and we sit watching our TV’s while some local newscaster tells us that today we had fifteen homicides and sixty-three violent crimes, as if that’s the way it’s supposed to be. We know things are bad – worse than bad. They’re crazy. It’s like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don’t go out anymore. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we are living in is getting smaller, and all we say is, ‘Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials and I won’t say anything. Just leave us alone.’ Well, I’m not gonna leave you alone. I want you to get mad! I don’t want you to protest. I don’t want you to riot – I don’t want you to write to your congressman because I wouldn’t know what to tell you to write. I don’t know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crime in the street. All I know is that first you’ve got to get mad. You’ve got to say, ‘I’m a HUMAN BEING, God damn it! My life has VALUE!’ So I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window. Open it, and stick your head out, and yell, ‘I’M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I’M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!’ I want you to get up right now, sit up, go to your windows, open them and stick your head out and yell – ‘I’m as mad as hell and I’m not going to take this anymore!’ Things have got to change. But first, you’ve gotta get mad!… You’ve got to say, ‘I’m as mad as hell, and I’m not going to take this anymore!’ Then we’ll figure out what to do about the depression and the inflation and the oil crisis. But first get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out, and yell, and say it: "I’M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I’M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!"

If you liked that post, then try these...

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment